24 July 2013
Tuna, Sundried Tomato and Camembert Quiche
My friend, Rossouw, has just gotten an oven. I'm not sure if he knows what to do with it because he usually only makes things in pans.
If you have an oven, QUICHE becomes an option!
In France, if someone calls you a quiche it means they think you're lame.
I might write a cookbook called Quiche for Quiches. That would be funny.
Rossouw is not a quiche. Neither is the picture you see above.
I believe Rossouw thinks that only little, old ladies who play bridge can eat quiche.
We might have fought about it. He is wrong. Quiche is delicious for all genders and ages.
The best thing about it is that you can make it once on a Sunday and then eat it for lunch for the next six days straight ( provided you cut it up in six parts. That's a good portion size. Alternatively, four days)
It's super simple. Puff pastry. Eggs. Whatever else you want to go with the eggs.
You will need:
1 roll of puff pastry
1 tablespoon of mustard (optional)
2 tablespoons of creme fraiche or double cream
salt and pepper
1 tin of tuna
6 - 8 sundried tomatoes
100 g of camembert (I actually used St Marcellin cheese which is similar but different)
1. Preheat your oven to 200 C
2. Roll out the puff pastry and place in a tart tin.
3. Punch holes into the pastry with a fork.
4. Spread the bottom of the pastry crust with a thin layer of mustard
5. Chop the sundried tomatoes, chop the camembert and chop the basil. Cover the bottom of the pastry crust with all the chopped ingredients.
6. Sprinkle the drained tuna over the top.
This is what we have so far.
6. In a bowl, whisk the 6 eggs with the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture over the top of everything else.
7. Sprinkle some grated cheese over the top so that it'll get some nice colouring in the oven. I used Emmenthal because that is our grated cheese of choice here in France. Cheddar won't kill anyone
(The French will disagree. Don't talk about peanut butter either. They don't like that.)
8. Place the pie in the oven for 20 minutes.
9. Serve with a green salad.